
I've been teaching summer school for the past three weeks. During the year, I'm a 6th grade math teacher. To change things up a bit, I've been teaching reading to new 4th graders. I was a bit apprehensive at first as I love the big kids. They're independent, I don't have to tell them how to spell words all the time, and they get my sense of humor.

After this experience, I love 4th graders too! They're sweet, they think everything we do is fun and exciting, and they give me hugs voluntarily. I'm a bit hugged-deprived during the summer. That's what I've come to realize. These kids are just what I need!

The schedule is pretty relaxed. The kids come at 8:30. We do a bit of morning work (something fun that wakes their brains up). I read aloud from a chapter book; we memorize one poem each week; we read from the provided magazines based on a theme each week; and after a quick restroom break, we play reading games until lunch at 11:25.


I don't know why I've never volunteered to teach summer school in the past! It's very beneficial: it gets me up in the morning and out of my house four days a week, I make money during the summer, and I get to keep up on the gossip regarding my school for the upcoming year :) I think I just might do it again!

No comments:
Post a Comment