Saturday, June 14, 2008

Crossing the Border


I know it's hard to believe, but in four years of living in the valley of the sun, I've never crossed the border to Mexico! I've had plans to once or twice, but it's never worked out...until last weekend. Four friends and I went to Rocky Point Friday and Saturday.

When we got there, we did the following:
  • Get a hotel
  • Change into swimwear
  • Eat tacos at a little taco shop
  • Hit the beach
I learned a major difference between the beaches of Mexico and someplace like San Diego. In Mexico, there are people approaching you all the time with services and things to sell: Henna tattoos, hair-braiding, fireworks, jewelry, etc.

After the beach, we had dinner at Flavio's. I had heard amazing things about the piña coladas there. They were seriously the yummiest party for my mouth that I had ever enjoyed! At $3 per glass, I would gladly have had two every day I was there :)

That night we did fireworks on a beach. I would have taken pictures there, but the boys bought loud firecrackers instead of pretty fireworks. We watched a show further down the beach and listened to the loud *booms* of bottle rockets and cherry bombs coming from our end of the beach.


The next morning we had plans to play at the beach most of the day, but unfortunately it was way too windy! The sand was all over and sticking to my freshly sunscreen'd body. We spent some time at a resort and enjoyed the pools there instead.

That day we visited the shops and market. But the best $15 I spent the entire weekend was on renting a quad! I had only ridden on the back of quads in the past. We each got our own and enjoyed an hour of riding quads on the dunes. Stay tuned for the pictures from that adventure!

At the end of the day, we had dinner and left the country. The man checking our passports at border patrol was not in a good mood and had no problem taking it out on us. I was happy to make it back to the city and America :)

3 comments:

Joni Wiedrich said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun! One of these days Henry and I will travel...when ours kids are grown and we are old! :) I love the line about the yummiest party for your mouth! Too funny! Was it a virgin pina colada?

Jacob and Shelly said...

I'm so jealous! You're out partying in Mexico and I'm here trying to get my kids to poop on the toilet!!! I love all the pictures and am so glad you decided to do your own blog, it's so much fun to be able to keep in touch with everyone and see what everyone is up to! :)

Jaime Lynne said...

You're life is boring?! What?! You went on a weekend romp to Mexico. I can't remember the last time I did that... no wait. I've never done that. This blog IS Disneyland!