Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Sometimes it's easy to forget why I'm a teacher. Today and one day last week, I had a couple of things that reminded me. The obvious reasons include my love of imparting knowledge, a desire for kids to have a teacher who cares about them and respects their personalities, yadda yadda yadda.

Last week a dad came in and proceeded to tell me that his son talks about me all the time at home. Huh. I began to worry until he explained that it is a good thing. Whew! It's a boy that does really well in my class and our personalities mesh. So it makes sense that it would be good - it was just flattering.

Remember the boy that likes to ask me what I'm wearing the next day so he can match me? Ha ha. It makes me laugh just thinking about how that must sound :) Anyway, we made our plan for tomorrow (black pants, button-down white shirt with a collar - we'll look like waiters); then he looked at me and said, "I like you." I didn't think I'd heard him correctly and when I asked him what he'd said, he said, "I really like having you for a math teacher." Awwww...and I really like having him as a math student!

It just makes me happy to know that I can be a force for good in someone's life. Hopefully many someones' lives. When I'm discouraged or frustrated with my job and not being able to help every kid as much as I'd like to, it's rewarding to hear a kind word from the kids about how I'm doing.

1 comment:

Jacob and Shelly said...

You are such a great teacher and I'm glad your students let you know that. I'm sure the other really like you too, but just don't mention it. Mason is always talking about his teacher and making her pictures. It's so funny. :)