Saturday, August 9, 2008

We're Back

The waiting (ha ha) is over and I'm back to work. Some funny things from this week of working in my classroom:
  • They moved the computer lab to the room next door to mine, so a bunch of lab furniture and stuff was cluttering up my room until Thursday morning. Not to worry - I'm a "seasoned teacher" and got things set up quickly.
  • I ended up getting a temporary crown put on a tooth Wednesday during work - an hour and a half later I was back at work and drooling all over the place as my face was still numb :)
  • Friday at Meet the Teacher, students from the past four years came back to see me. My new kids look so-o-o little next to the ones who are grown!
So two pieces of gossip I learned about previous students. The bad news is that a girl I had two years ago is pregnant with twins - wow. She's 14.

In good news, one of my girls from four years ago is a sophomore and wants to be a veterinarian! She plans on going to high school and Evit (East Valley Institute of Technology) at the same time. It's a higher education opportunity. I'm thrilled for her! She was a C/B average student when I had her, so for her to have a goal and a plan is awesome!

In other fun news, the Olympics started. It got me thinking about my student teaching experience in Auckland, New Zealand several years ago. I had a student who told me to watch for him in the gymnastics portion of the Olympics in the future. Those kids are now 18! I did a bit o' research online last night...and I found Luke! Not just him, but several of the kids from that class. It appears he is participating in the Olympics in swimming and/or gymnastics. I'm not sure how to navigate the New Zealand Olympic team website. But either way, I contacted him and am waiting to hear back! This photo is of Mt. Roskill, the area where the kids from Dominion Road School live. I want to go back.

No comments: