Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Random Thoughts


When I was a kid, I loved my mom's stroganoff. I still do. It was a running joke that a family friend always gave me noodles for Christmas - specifically to go with stroganoff. Earlier this week, I decided to invite my roommate to join me for dinner. I love to cook but don't do it often as it's hard to cook for one and let's be honest...who wants to eat leftovers for three days in a row? Two meals I can handle. Much more than that bores me. Getting back to my story, I made stroganoff for dinner tonight. If I do say so myself, it was excellent :) Instead of noodles, tonight I put it over baked potatoes. I wanted the really yummy crispy baked potatoes. However, I was too hungry to wait an hour for them to bake in the oven. I broke down and quickly took care of it in the microwave.

Today I wore my hair in bundled up pigtails complete with red ribbons that matched my red hoop earrings and paisley-printed lightweight poncho I bought a couple of years ago at a Greek festival in Phoenix. My principal complimented me at least three times on the poncho. Kinda funny. Then a boy in my class, Carlos, who never tires of asking questions (really good ones and random ones having nothing to do with anything) asked me, "Miss Dea, who did your hair?" Huh? I repeated the question, not sure I'd heard him correctly. Oh no - I heard him exactly right. When I said, "I did", he looked at me thoughtfully, head cocked to one side for a minute, and then responded with, "Hmmm, just wondering. It looks hard to do." It was cute. I had to laugh :) Oh yeah, and I whispered, "It's not". Interesting that I get the most compliments when I find creative ways to put my hair up while it's wet and fresh from the shower. Why do I bother the rest of the time?? Good question.

Speaking of my Greek poncho, another boy, Maxwell, said to me, "Miss Dea, you look very Chinese today - Bejing even - with your buns and your shirt. And last week you wore that kimono thing. What will you be tomorrow? Indian? Mexican?" I realize they notice everything, but I didn't think they paid that close of attention to my dress and accessories :) Any suggestions? I'm looking forward to trying to wear a variety of "cultural garb" every Wednesday, if for no other reason than knowing Maxwell will notice and comment on my outfit. Ha ha.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Master Dea,

I think you should wear Ugly Betty attire one day. How awesome would that be? If you don't watch Ugly Betty, then it probably isn't that funny. :)

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

It sounds like you are such a fun teacher. Your students are lucky to have you around. Maybe you could dress up like your from Switzerland. You could even carry a little stuffed goat around. j/k!