Friday, August 29, 2008

Wild Weather!

I live in Phoenix. We're in the midst of monsoon season. It's funny how Thursday nights seem to have the worst weather. So many times, my friend Becky and I want to go walking that night and it ends up raining.

Last night was one of the worst storms yet! As I was driving home at 9:30, the roads were so flooded that only the middle lanes were drive able. There was so much lightning that it was non-stop. I don't remember hearing thunder, but the lightning was crazy! Several neighborhoods along the way were without power. In fact, an entire street's streetlights went out as I was driving by.

Some things that happened as a result of this storm:
  • 11,000 people are without power (still)
  • 100 mph winds
  • schools closed because of flooding, no power, and trees fallen across their roofs
  • trees and power lines down
  • strong winds that broke condo windows
  • runways shut down at the airport
  • railroad arms stuck in the down position
  • 8.4 million dollar building at ASU damaged (indoor training facility)
Personally I love thunderstorms. I love them more when they happen between the hours of 3 PM and 8 AM :) But I am glad I never lost power, and I live on the second floor so flooding didn't affect me.



In other news, I'm the lucky one when it comes to football this weekend! Today I got free tickets to the Cardinals vs. Broncos pre-season game. I could care less about the Cardinals, but I do love the Broncos! Tomorrow is the Husker game (which I fully intend to watch!) and then a friend invited me to the ASU game with him after - and they're playing my alma mater the NAU Lumberjacks. I love football season!

1 comment:

Joni Wiedrich said...

Crazy weather! You are going to be all football-ed out after this weekend! It's a good thing Henry and Jake are going to a Broncos game this year or you would be in trouble!