Saturday, August 23, 2008

"Master Dea"

Please allow me to toot my own horn for a moment. Last week I officially graduated with my Master's Degree! It was a long time coming (in a matter of speaking). The program was only two years. I began fall of 2006 and took two classes per semester while teaching full time. Summer of 2007 I took three classes and in July this year was my final class! I say it was a long time coming because my parents always know better than me :) They first encouraged me to go back to school in 2003. But I always wait until I'm good and ready to follow their counsel. It took three years before I felt the desire to go back to school. I never expected to go beyond a Bachelor's Degree to be honest. Now I'm leaving the door open to the possibility of a PhD in the future...not anytime soon mind you. I'm enjoying having time for taking classes through my school district and community education courses instead.

I love the feeling of having accomplished a graduate degree with a 4.0 GPA. There were times I wanted to do just enough to get by :) But I guess my desire for better-than-average continued to push me to do better than that. I may not have done my very best in high school or in my undergrad program, but I've now proved to myself (and my family) that I can achieve perfect grades while having a life :)

Next on the agenda...obtaining added certification to my qualifications in education. I have a K-8 certificate with an ESL endorsement and a reading endorsement. This fall I'm enrolled in a class to prepare me for a middle school math test. In January I am registered to take two tests, a middle school math test and the secondary education test. Passing them both will allow me to teach math at the junior high level if I so choose in the future. Who knows? It could happen...

7 comments:

Allison said...

Congratulations! I will now call you "Master". :) Good job on the straight As! That's awesome!!! You go with the certifications. That is so cool!

Rachael said...

Yay for my amazing sister! In our faculty meeting we all had to stand and say who had influenced our lives and I said YOU! Just because you are fun, awesome, dedicated, and a good listener. Way to go! We may be to busy to talk on the phone but not for blogs.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! No one is prouder of you than us. We just want you to realize all the potential you have in life. We are proud of all your accomplishments and especially the person you have become. Keep up the good work!

Janessa Couch said...

I am so proud of you. That is such an amazing accomplishment. I know that you are an excellent teacher! Great job.

Jaime Lynne said...

I am so proud of you! Congrats, Sara. You have always been a smart cookie... and must I refer to you as "master" now?!

Erin said...

Wow, congrats Sara! You certainly deserve to toot your own horn especially since you graduated with 4.0. That's awesome! I have really been missing school lately (I thought I'd never say that) and would love to earn my master's. Maybe someday. Congrats again. You rock!

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

Congratulations on your master's degree! That is such a huge accomplishment. You should be proud.