Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Potpourri

As the title implies, this will be a potpourri of the recent comings and goings.

Tonight I went to my new book group. We read Animal Farm. It is a small group - there were six of us there tonight. I knew two of the girls. Apparently this group meets about every other month. The hostess chooses the book. I liked everyone there and the discussion was excellent! They also have a light dinner...no complaints here :)


Last Friday, I awoke with a scratchy throat and the sniffles. Classic case of the beginnings of a cold. Not cool! But I attended a class at the gym as per usual for a Friday morning. At work my students kept commenting on my voice sounding funny and the fact that I was constantly running to the tissue box and interrupting whatever I was trying to teach.


Do you think I let that slow me down? Never! My friend Allison and I met up for a night of here-and-there fun! First we went to the new Tempe Arts Center, an outdoor stage where we sat in camping chairs on the lawn for Ballet Under the Stars. It was a family-friendly event where people brought picnics and coolers. It was a fun cultural event - I like getting a bit of culture at least once a month :)


After the ballet we hit up a fondue party. Lots of chocolate fountain yumminess - then again, I wouldn't know since all I did was savor a few strawberries. They are one of my favorite fruits as of late.

Our third and final event of the evening was an improv theater. A friend of mine has been taking the classes and it was his graduation night. Funny stuff! I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.


I have recently become a fan of The Office. I remember my friends having a season premier party last year - I didn't attend because I had only seen one episode of the show and I couldn't understand what all the hype was about. Well, between then and now, I had the chance to watch the previous season (whichever season it was) and have since become a fan! Last Thursday night, some friend TiVo'd the season premier and invited a bunch of us over to watch together. Talk about funny! There were Office-themed foods and quotes attached. My favorite part? A stapler in jello :) Some people have the most creative ideas I swear.


In case you were wondering, my cold is going away (I felt much better today), I'm currently watching the pilot episode of Magnum P.I. on surfthechannel.com to see if I can find myself (as the website will be discontinued in a few short hours), the book I'm reading is pretty interesting (if only I had time to actually read it...), and I have my first cultural event opportunity this week as I attend the symphony on Thursday.

1 comment:

Janessa Couch said...

We absolutely LOVE The Office. The idea of a stapler in the jello is very creative. I was driving down the road the other day and someone payed for signs in their yard with quotes from The Office. Very funny!

You are one busy woman. I am very impressed that you went to a fondue party and only had a couple of strawberries. Glad to hear that your cold is going away.