I took a road trip "back to my roots" for the 4th of July weekend. That will be a whole 'nother post in itself. But first...my inspiration.
My dad has a motorcycle. He lets me ride on the back of it each time I visit. This trip was no different. But this time, it was like I was seeing my hometown in a new light: small town USA. I loved growing up in a Midwestern small town. I've lived in other small towns since leaving home. There's something special about small towns. They are also quirky in some ways. Here's a travelogue of what I noticed in Auburn, Nebraska.

I just love the sign as you drive into Nebraska :)

I never noticed the motto of Auburn before - it's a good one, don't ya think?

We're very proud of our football stadium. If you know anything about NE, you know why. If not, keep reading...(and small towns are very competitive, especially with neighboring towns and sports).

These are the same mailbox

Speaking of sports - we bleed Husker Red in Nebraska. People show it freely.

Small towns like Auburn are very patriotic. More so on July 4th for obvious reasons. But I think it's very cool.

I love this photo. Our lawn chairs and camping chairs set up across the street from the house, holding our spot for the fireworks display. They sat out there alone for a few hours. Never touched. We didn't worry about them. Just headed out before the fireworks began and took our seats for the show :)

Every small town ought to have a main drag - a place for high schoolers to go cruisin'. This is ours.

Houses with big front porches are pretty typical.
And other quirks that seem common-place in a small town:

Swan lawn and porch ornaments,

pink flamingos...

and large stones in the yard proclaiming the names of the residents of that house. Does it look like a tombstone to you?
I love small town USA.
My dad has a motorcycle. He lets me ride on the back of it each time I visit. This trip was no different. But this time, it was like I was seeing my hometown in a new light: small town USA. I loved growing up in a Midwestern small town. I've lived in other small towns since leaving home. There's something special about small towns. They are also quirky in some ways. Here's a travelogue of what I noticed in Auburn, Nebraska.

I just love the sign as you drive into Nebraska :)

I never noticed the motto of Auburn before - it's a good one, don't ya think?

We're very proud of our football stadium. If you know anything about NE, you know why. If not, keep reading...(and small towns are very competitive, especially with neighboring towns and sports).

These are the same mailbox

Speaking of sports - we bleed Husker Red in Nebraska. People show it freely.

Small towns like Auburn are very patriotic. More so on July 4th for obvious reasons. But I think it's very cool.

I love this photo. Our lawn chairs and camping chairs set up across the street from the house, holding our spot for the fireworks display. They sat out there alone for a few hours. Never touched. We didn't worry about them. Just headed out before the fireworks began and took our seats for the show :)

Every small town ought to have a main drag - a place for high schoolers to go cruisin'. This is ours.

Houses with big front porches are pretty typical.
And other quirks that seem common-place in a small town:

Swan lawn and porch ornaments,

pink flamingos...

and large stones in the yard proclaiming the names of the residents of that house. Does it look like a tombstone to you?
I love small town USA.
3 comments:
I LOVE it!! But you forgot to mention how fun it was getting all of those pictures! It was great to spend a few days with you. Hopefully we'll be able to live closer someday!
I’ve been waiting for this post! So cute! I just love small towns and all that they represent, although I think I could live without the flamingos! =)
Love the pictures. I must agree that Auburn could be the best small town ever. I must show these pics to my friends so they will start to believe...See you on Thurs!
Post a Comment