Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Noses and Poses

Two weeks ago:

Sometimes we take walks even when it's chilly out - especially if I need to do some business at my neighborhood library; pick up a few groceries; or get the mail. Ellie was having more fun than her face says she was having.


 One week ago:

 Our friend Danika gave us this onesie before Ellie was born. She and Steve have been friends for years - since his BYU days. So she knows him well. This onesie made us laugh - I couldn't wait for Ellie to be big enough to wear it. She finally is! It's perfect for us, eh? (It says Made in America with Canadian Parts)

 
Ellie managed to grab everything in her reach before I could finish getting her ready - this is her pose.

 She loves to read - especially the books I let her chew on and slobber all over. I sure hope she always loves reading like I do!

Last weekend:

We got a family picture taken. This was while we waited to view the pictures.

Also last weekend, our girl got a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad sickness. It started Thursday and we thought it was a cold. She was worse Friday, then Saturday, and by Sunday, we knew I had to stay home from church with her. She has a rattly, wet cough, a nose that runs non-stop, congestion, and difficulty breathing. On Sunday morning, she also threw up her entire breakfast after coughing once and then projectile-vomiting every bit of milk she had drunk. 

We ended up taking her to Urgent Care, where after three hours, we discovered a few things.
1) Ellie weighs 17 lbs 10 oz
2) She has an ear infection
3) She has RSV
4) She has Bronchiolitis 
(which I was reading about online, and it says it typically occurs during the first 2 years of life with more frequent occurrence at about 3 to 6 months of age, is more common in males, children who have not been breastfed, and those who live in crowded conditions, and that day-care attendance and exposure to cigarette smoke can also increase the likelihood that an infant will develop bronchiolitis - none of which apply in this situation. Interesting...)

She was prescribed medicine for her ear infection and we were given instructions to put saline drops in her nose and suction her out really well before every feeding and nap. Apparently all of the steam baths, showers, and humidifier in her room have been helping. She does not need breathing treatments, thank goodness. 

Oh, and they did do a deep suction treatment on her while we were there. It. Was. Awful. The only good things about it were the fact that they told us beforehand to leave the room so: a)we couldn't hear her screaming (as much...believe me, we could still hear her!) and b)we could be the good guys coming to her rescue afterwards. It. Was. Awful. Afterwards, I just held her in my arms. She looked drugged and exhausted. I'm sure it didn't help that she had only slept for about an hour at all during the day. She was quickly soothed and fell right to sleep in my arms.

Yesterday morning, her breathing sounded more wheezy, but today has been better. Yesterday morning she also threw up breakfast again. Today we learned how to avoid that. Yesterday she didn't take many good naps. Today she's going on 3 hours for one nap! Yesterday I struggled to keep her hydrated. Today it has gone more smoothly. If what our pediatrician said is accurate, Sunday and Monday were the worst days of the illness and things should begin improving. Keeping our fingers crossed for that!

Today:

It was a balmy 65 degrees with a bit of a breeze. What a gorgeous day!

 We opened the patio door and sat in the sunshine. Even Little Miss Sicky could enjoy the weather.

And I love this picture for two reasons. You can see her two tiny teeth! And that wasn't even the intent of the picture :) The other thing I love is that in several pictures, she grinned so big that her eyes closed. I imagine she's saying 'CHEESE' in her head. What a ham.

4 comments:

Brenden+Nikki said...

Oh it's always so horrible when your baby is sick! I hope she gets over it all soon!

P.S. Ellie is 2+ pounds heavier than Elle ha ha. Can you believe she'll be 1 in two weeks and she is still barely scraping 15 pounds? Wish my babies had those beautiful chubby cheeks :).

Rachael said...

What adorable pictures! Give my little cheeky cupcake a kiss for me.

mel nielson said...

How miserable for Ellie- and for you guys! I do hope that each day gets better and better. Lincoln had the same sickness last year and he ended up needing breathing treatments- no fun! I love the America/Canadian onsie- so, so cute! And I really love that yellow onsie and flower- SUPER cute!

TreBeck said...

She is so adorable!