Saturday, June 11, 2011

Reflections on Ellie

My entire life I've wanted to be a wife and mother. It took longer than I'd planned to become a wife, but the wait was well worth it! We were lucky to get pregnant when we'd planned. I pinch myself everyday that my dreams are coming true. Ellie is the best baby we could have asked for! In fact, I'm pretty sure we're officially spoiled by her. She's a real trooper. She has so much patience. Looking into her little face just melts my heart. Every day.


Sometimes I just hold and cuddle her after she eats. When I look at her squishy little face against my shoulder, I get teary-eyed thinking that she was in my stomach just two short weeks ago - and that Steve and I made her. She's our creation. What a feeling.

 Me and my baby girl - napping together at the hospital

See what I mean about staring at her as she sleeps on my shoulder?? What a doll.

 Just me and my girl.

 Great timing catching one of her little grins on camera - way to go daddy!

 Adorable. There are no other words.

Three generation photo. My mom, me, and Ellie

These past two weeks, Ellie had many visitors. It was an amazing help having my mom in town for two weeks. She was always willing to get up with me for night time feedings; she rocked Ellie and sang songs to her; she changed diapers; and not only did she take care of Ellie...she took care of Steve and me and our house as well! She cooked, cleaned, fed us, bought what we needed, and even let us leave the house for a short hour-long date last Friday night. I don't know how I would have done it without her. She is a wealth of knowledge in child-rearing and we loved having her here!

 Aunt Rachael, Great-Aunt Jane, Lael, Haya, my cousin Katie, Nana, Aunt Shauna, Jen

Steve has been terrific as well. I always knew he'd be a great daddy :) He's always willing to get up during the night to help get Ellie back to sleep. He has probably changed more diapers than I have up to this point. He spends tummy time on the floor with Ellie every day after work. He sings to hear. Reads to her. Tells her stories. And I know he likes cuddling with her as much as I do.

 See? He changes diapers...

...bathing Ellie

 
One of her favorite places to sleep.

And some random facts about Ellie: she loves music; she can sleep through anything; she does a woodpecker thing against my chest and will suck on anything and everything she can get her lips on when she's hungry; her eyes look gray now...we can't wait to see what color they end up being; she has a birth certificate, a social security card, and her passport application is in the mail; she smiles - mostly in her sleep of course, but sometimes after daddy changes her or mommy feeds her; she's perfectly healthy; she's not as chubby as she looks in many of her photos (remember: the camera adds 10 lbs.); the chubbiest part of her body are her thighs - other than that, she's pretty small; she's super content most of the time; she already loves sleeping in the car.

One more shot with Nana. Look at that cute baby!

We love and adore her!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh how I miss her already!!!

mel nielson said...

What a sweetheart! I love all the pictures and the info on Ellie- I especially love the picture of her smiling :) It can be overwhelming at times, having a new baby, but it's obvious that with you guys the joy outshines the frustrations. You're a beautiful family and I'm so happy for you guys!

Janessa Couch said...

I can see why you love and adore her. I love when they lay on your chest and stick their bottom in the air. So cute! I miss that. She is so beautiful and so precious.

Janeal said...

Love the pics! It is great to see you guys get settled in and that you have tons of help! Aren't grandmas wonderful??