Thursday, April 16, 2009

Jon Schmidt

Let me tell you about a talented musician by the name of Jon Schmidt. He composes, arranges, and plays music on the piano. He also has a brilliant cellist that adds to the beauty of the music. Jon Schmidt doesn't simply play - he's a performer. You can tell how much he loves what he does by the expression on his face, his body language, and the way he interacts with the audience when you see him live. He even plays upside down, backwards, and with his feet :) I've seen him in concert twice and both times have been amazed and awed at what he does. As a piano player myself, I find his talent incredibly inspiring.

Having said that, one of my favorite Jon Schmidt pieces is called Pachelbel Meets U2. You can probably guess what it's like - it's a beautiful mesh of Pachelbel's Canon (which I absolutely adore!) and With or Without You. Gorgeous arrangement.

The last time I saw Jon Schmidt in concert was last December right before Christmas. I was not disappointed! Since then, he's added a new song to his repertoire. It's called Love Story (Taylor Swift) meets Viva La Vida (Coldplay) - both great songs! And again, it's stunning. Here's the video.

5 comments:

Joni Wiedrich said...

That is beautiful! Wow! I would love to see him. Now I'm dying to hear the Pachelbel/U2 song. I couldn't find it on youtube. And who is the cellist? He looks so familiar!

Joni Wiedrich said...

Oh, I found it! Also amazing! Did you see he has some free music pdf files on his website? I think I may attempt to learn one. Thanks for sharing!

Allison said...

I absolutely loved this! Thanks for sharing it!!! I'm going to look at the song Joni talked about. :)

Daniel and Rachael said...

Great song!!!

hoffblog said...

Hi Sara--thanks for the comment on Hoffblog! I love this music. I've long been a fan of Mr. Schmidt and it's great to know you like him too-you've always had good taste. Hope all is well. I'll have to find the other mix of Canon in D and With or Without You. :)