Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Back to School Feast 2016

We had our traditional back to school feast Monday night. 


Making their crowns for the feast

The afternoon of the feast, the kids spent a few hours playing in the yard. They gave each other "dirt showers", so dirt in their hair and all over their bodies :) Oh yeah - and Hunter was eating  a lollipop while he played...so...sticky AND dirty. Thanks for the Astro Pops,  Grandma! They were the biggest lollipops the kids had ever seen, and they loved them!


Steve hosed down the kids in the yard and then they warmed back up in the bath before the feast. The kids had a "jammie dinner" for the feast.

The table


The crowns





Even Spencer was invited.

The gift

We decide on a theme for the year - the kids and I have it memorized after practicing it today.

It went something like this: We lit the candles and put on our crowns. The menu was chicken enchiladas, steamed broccoli and grape juice. Dessert was a new recipe; pistachio cupcakes. We ate our fancy meal by candlelight and talked about the upcoming school year. The kids colored and drew on the butcher paper on the table. I looked over and saw an H U written next to Hunter's plate. I asked Hunter if he'd written it and he said yes - but I didn't believe it. (Surely Ellie had come over and written it...)  Hunter has never written any letters before. So I asked him to write it again. He wrote H U N T E r and was so proud of himself! I was pretty shocked and excited as well. When did he learn to write his name?!?

After dinner, Steve opened the gift: it was our yearly theme! We read it with the kids and talked about what it means and what it will look like in  our home. Then Spencer was screaming to be fed and the kids were climbing up on the table in a hurry to blow out their candles...and the feast was over. Ha ha!

All in all,  it was a success and everyone is excited to start the school year!

No comments: