Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chef Steve

This weekend was all Steve - he planned and cooked both Saturday and Sunday. The meals were so delicious, I told him he should expect to plan and cook more often!! Besides two excellent dinners, we made my tried-and-true Pumpkin Pancakes recipe this morning before church. Yum!

One-Pot Spaghetti
(I love the steam coming off of it in this picture!)

8 oz. ground beef or pork sausage
1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms or one 6-oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 c. chopped onion (1 medium)
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth or beef broth
1 3/4 c. water
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried basil or marjoram, crushed
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 oz. dried spaghetti, broken
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large saucepan cook the ground beef or pork sausage, fresh mushrooms (if using), onion, and garlic till meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.

2. Stir in the canned mushrooms (if using), chicken or beef broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, basil or marjoram, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Add the broken spaghetti, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 17 to 20 minutes or till spaghetti is tender and sauce is of the desired consistency, stirring frequently. Serve with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 main-dish servings.

PS. We both loved this spaghetti sooooo much! Some of the best we've ever had. Even with our sinuses stuffed up, the flavor was delicious :)

Beef and Mushrooms

3 pounds stew meat, cubed
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of mushroom soup, condensed
2 cans (4 ounces each) mushrooms, with liquid
1/2 cup apple juice
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Combine all ingredients in greased 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat 10 hours or high heat 5 hours. Makes 4-6 servings. Serve ladled over rice. Accompany with a saute of fresh vegetables.

Pumpkin Panacakes with Sin Syrup
Pancakes:
2 1/3 c. Bisquick
1/3 c. pumpkin
1/4 c. oil
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 eggs
1 c. milk
Mix well. May add milk for desired consistency.

Sin Syrup:
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Heat on stove until all sugar is dissolved and syrup is heated through.

And one of our favorite past-times during meals...(breakfast in particular)...
Dice - Farkle - 10,000

For Family Home Evening last week, we had tickets to the Broadway Palm Dinner Theater in Mesa to see The Duttons. I've been multiple times but Steve hadn't been. I think he enjoyed it as much as I always do :) We had second row center seats at a table with a snowbird couple from Canada. The buffet dinner was tasty and the show was phenomenal! 


2 comments:

Rachael said...

Looks like tons of fun!! I will call you tomorrow!

Janessa Couch said...

YUMMY!!! I have wondered why you had not updated lately, then realized that I have your wrong address on my blog so I was not seeing the updates. Now I get to read about two months worth. YIPPEE! I love reading your fun blog and love seeing that you guys are enjoying marriage.