Monday, June 8, 2009

Fish Fun

I want my own reality-tv show...a cooking show.

As mentioned previously, I've recently begun experimenting with new fish recipes. A girl can only eat grilled chicken breasts for so long before it's time for a change :) So far, these are the only two I've tried.

Haddock with Garden Vegetables
I decided to include photos of the process - look at those gorgeous veggies!

The thought crossed my mind to get a picture of me cooking (hence the desire for my own cooking show...) but I didn't...this time...

The finished product - I promise there is fish underneath all the veggies!

1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red or green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 2 x 1/4 inch strips
2 c. coarsely chopped tomatoes
6 fresh basil leaves, minced, or 1/2 t. dried basil
1 T. minced fresh parsley
dash of freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. haddock fillets, cut into serving-size pieces

Thinly slice zucchini and squash.

In skillet over medium heat, combine zucchini, yellow squash, scallions, pepper strips, tomatoes, basil, parsley and pepper. Cover; cook over medium heat , reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes. Push vegetables to outside edge of skillet.

Arrange fish in single layer in pan, spooning vegetables on top. Cover and cook over low heat 6 to 10 minutes, or just until the thickest part of the fillet is opaque (probe with a fork), and no longer raw-looking). Serve over cooked brown rice.

*My notes: No stores actually carry haddock. But don't fret - Haddock belongs to the cod family. You can substitute Atlantic pollock, Atlantic cod, grouper, or snapper. I used pollock and was quite impressed! We also found it needed a bit of salt and pepper added to the meal for seasoning. This dish is super healthy and tasty!

Grilled Halibut with Fresh Tomato Salsa

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 ¼ pounds halibut steaks, tuna or mahi-mahi, skin removed, cut into 4 pieces (see Tip)
2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium ripe tomato
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

eating wellGrilled Halibut with Fresh Tomato Salsa Ingredients Cont.

Grilled Halibut with Fresh Tomato Salsa Instructions

1. Place halibut steaks in a shallow dish and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lime juice and oil. Turn to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the grill.
3. Core the tomato and halve crosswise. Gently squeeze out and discard the seeds. Dice the flesh and place in a small bowl. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro (or parsley), onion, jalapeño, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the halibut until it is opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with the tomato salsa.

Tips

Tips: To skin a fish fillet: Place a fish fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.

To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hod it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.

*My notes - the homemade salsa was amazing! It's super easy and uber-delicious! I plan to top chicken or fish with it often. This was probably my favorite of the two fish dishes.

Stay tuned - I have at least one new chicken recipe planned for later this week :) I'm sure you'll be waiting with eager anticipation...

eating wellGrilled Halibut with Fresh Tomato Salsa Tips Cont.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are you and where have you taken my real daughter!!!

Janessa Couch said...

YUMMO!!!

Joni Wiedrich said...

Looks like you need to start a recipe blog! I never cook fish, but might have to try it now. Where do you get all of your recipes?

Rachael said...

Yummy! I just had salmon yesterday but yours looks great!!

Jaime Lynne said...

I won't eat fish, but I am printing off the recipes below to try at home. Love that you are into this right now and keep the recipes coming!!!