Saturday, February 28, 2009

Heart Walk

I am the lucky gal who was chosen to be the health and wellness coordinator for my school. Basically I attend meetings every other month and take the information back to my staff. There are only a dozen of us in the district (this year anyway). Let me just say that MPS does some great things to promote a healthy lifestyle!

Today was the Heart Walk. For the past two months, I've been readying the staff for today's event. Basically anyone interested has been tracking their walking for the month of February, turning in numbers to me each week. I set goals for our team (goals my team blew out of the water each week!). We also registered online and including donations of the staff, family, and friends, we raised approximately $800! It goes towards research of heart disease and stroke. I'm pretty impressed with how hard our staff worked to get ready for today.

We met up at 7 AM to catch the light rail from Mesa to Tempe Town Lake. So fun! Super cheap, super easy, only took about 20 minutes. And what a gorgeous morning for a three-mile walk. It was about 70 degrees and sunny with a light breeze (I feel like a weather-girl).

Eileen, Louise, and Andy

Me with Jen and Alex

There were booths with healthy snacks and water, a performance by a hip-hop dance troupe, group photos, etc. After the opening ceremonies, the walk began! It took about an hour (imagine an entire street full of people from one side to the other...let's just say, it wasn't a quick walk...). There were groups of people holding signs and cheering us on about every mile or so.

Me with my walking-buddies, Louise and Eileen

(Funny story about how I came to be close friends with Louise and Eileen...last month we had a work happy-hour at Buffalo Wild Wings. It's our typical location. The three of us ended up on the same team for a trivia game challenge. Through that hour and a half, we got pretty tight. It continues today!)

So, the Heart Walk was a massive success! We had about 20 staff members or so show up for the walk. It was a packed event. Next up? The asthma walk in April. Maybe we'll tackle that one as well...

3 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

That is great that you are getting your school involved in that. Good job!

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

That is neat that you can be involved in such a great thing. It sounds fun too!

Allison said...

So... I opened up my night stand drawer last night and there was a $5 bill. I thought, why would I put that there? And then I quickly remembered that I put it there so I could give it to you. So... the moral of the story is that we need to get together soon, and I'll probably forget to put it in my purse before we meet. :)