Since I married a Canadian, it was only appropriate for us to visit his motherland. Where he was born and raised. A place I've never traveled to before! And can I just say, everywhere we went was gorgeous! The weather was cool and nice - it was perfect!
***
Steve and I left town Wednesday June 30th for Canada. Over the course of 10 days, we stayed 1-2 nights at different family members' houses, visited Cardston, Waterton, Cayley, High River, and Calgary - all in Alberta.
***
I think I'll let the photos speak for themselves - mostly...
We visited the Cardston, Alberta Temple with Steve's parents; had ice cream; modeled our twin BYU hoodies.
Waterton National Park. Beautiful scenery...
Fishing on Dad Thompson's boat. We fished on Lake Mary's Reservoir, Payne Lake, and Pine Coulee Reservoir. We caught cutthroat trout and Walleye. I love Dad Thompson's fishing boat :) We had so much fun going out fishing three times while in Alberta!
Calgary Tower - complete with a revolving restaurant and a glass floor above the city. Fun!
Deer roam about in the wild - and in town - all over Alberta. So cool!
On our way back from Headwall Lake, we saw a double rainbow - and we could see both ends!
We got famous and delicious root beer and butterscotch shakes at The Hitchin' Post - a High River fave :)
Steve posing on Stephen Ave.
Check out the flavors of chips...
And last but not least...our hike to Headwall Lake where we fished. Hiked in the snow. Saw pika and mountain sheep. A perfect day! (Not sure why the pictures in the slideshow are fuzzy - guess I'll stick to other programs in the future...)
***
So, we happened to be in Canada over the 4th of July. Well, July 1st is Canada Day. Church was interesting that Sunday. The opening hymn was Oh Canada - which is both their national anthem as well as a hymn in their hymn books. I was looking at the music intently, trying to get the tune and the words right. Everyone else (obviously) knew the song and stood and sang it proudly. And the closing hymn? America the Beautiful :) I was happy:)
***
We had such a blast visiting Steve's family!! We were able to stay with his parents a few nights, as well as his sister Cindy and brothers David and Kevin. It was so much fun to get to know them and their families better.
***
We got home to 115 degree heat. I'm convinced this should be an annual July vacation :)





5 comments:
Wow! You spent time with family, got some great pictures AND escaped the heat.
And Sara, now I'm wondering... did you make sure Steve wasn't marrying you for your citizenship? :) Is he here illegally? With the new Arizona law in effect, he may need to watch out. Just kidding. :)
Love the pics and the awesome slideshow video. you are very talented!! I feel very lucky to have been a recipient of the Ketchup chips. ¡Gracias!
Wow does that make me hungry for some good old cold water trout!!!
How beautiful! Jay and I might have to put this place on our list of places to visit. Don't you just love being married to a fisherman?
First... Holy Canoli You are a great blogger! I'm so glad you wrote on mine! It was so good to read about your life... isn't that funny.... blogs are so fun! Well, thanks for little link into your life! :)
Post a Comment