Funny story. I never liked hiking. I grew up in Nebraska - we didn't hike there. Go figure :) I went to Ricks and BYU...could never understand why on earth people went hiking for fun! Hiking was not fun in my opinion. The first time I remember enjoying hiking was on a mountain on the south island of New Zealand. Once I went back to Utah, I did a few hikes and actually enjoyed myself! It was shocking.
When I moved to Arizona, again I became acquainted with hikers. People love it! By this time, I was more open to give hiking a shot. In the past seven years, I've done some major hikes: Four Peaks, Squaw Peak, Grand Canyon rim to rim, and a plethora of shorter and less intense hikes.
Back to Flatiron - Steve invited me to hike it with him last Saturday. Can you even believe we found six hours to do a hike three Saturdays before our wedding?? I know. Crazy! Anyways, on the way to Flatiron, I mentioned being afraid to hike Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. I've never hiked it and always shied away from it because it sounds scary! Steve gently informed me that Flatiron is basically 2 1/2 Camelbacks...wha?? No biggie. I'm always up for a challenge...Here are the stats: Difficulty: 4.5 Distance Round Trip: 5.4 miles Trailhead Elevation: 2080 ft Elevation Gain: 2780 ft Avg Time Round Trip 3.5 - 5 hrs
We left at 6:30 AM. Steve had a Camelbak stuffed with trail snacks, the camera, and our hats. I really enjoyed the hike up! It was a challenge, but nothing I couldn't handle :) We set a steady pace and rested when we felt the desire. We stopped to take pictures and just enjoyed the morning! I was shocked how far we'd gone once we made it to the top.


Steve brought tortillas for us to toss off the edge :) Trust me when I tell you he's better at tortilla-frisbee throwing than I am...





5 comments:
Wow! That is impressive...if you can climb mountains together and still like each other, you will be just fine!
That's wonderful--but I'd rather not see you two standing so close to the edge!!
I can't wait to go hiking with you guys when we live closer!!! 15 days....you don't have to count the actual wedding day!!
What a beautiful hike. We love to go hiking as a family, if we ever get the time to do it. Hiking the Grand Canyon sounds like a fun adventure.
Wow what an amazing experience! Stephen sounds awesome. I can't wait to meet him. I live just down the steet from you now so maybe we can do something soon. What do you think?
Post a Comment